Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Let Them Eat (Haute) Cake!

As stated previously, I have the bad habit of picking out really expensive things and wanting them with a passion. First it was all of the dresses I picked out of magazines, then the shoes (Manolo Blahniks in Something Blue... yum!), then the idea of having a photo booth at the reception. When it came time for the cake design, why break the chain?

Thankfully, I was blessed enough to stumble upon a listing for a fabulous baker. I believe that her sister is Sarah @ Parrott Design Studio on WeddingBee Pro. I don't exactly remember how or when I came across her cake website, but it was early in the process and I knew nothing about what our cake should look like or how expensive it would be. I mean, come on, how expensive could one slice of cake be?!

Expensive. Period. The local bakers in Bethel, near our reception and ceremony locales, were asking nearly $4.50 a slice. Would their cakes be works of art? Probably. Would we go broke paying for that work of art? Absolutely. Hoping for some sort of miracle, I branched out and started looking at bakers outside of our area. It would be more of a hassle to get the cake to the reception, but if it would save a few hundred dollars, it was worth it. Mr. Library and I can be creative problem solvers when we want to.

After coming across our baker's website and scheduling a tasting with her (I have never seen Mr. Library so excited about a wedding errand before!), I received my copy of Modern Bride in the mail. This became my ultimate inspiration:

Dream Cake


Mr. Library and I wanted to have a topper instead of flowers, but how gorgeous is this design?! I took the idea with me to the tasting, and Jessica, Mr. Library and I worked together to come up with a variation on the picture. I'm not really one to just copy someone else's idea. I need to have it be something original.

Flavor options were up next. Mr. Library and I had agreed that it wasn't likely we would totally agree on one wedding cake flavor. He is very plain (chocolate cake with white frosting) and I am more along the lines of fruity flavors with exciting add-ins. We landed on a decision to take turns determining the layers and we would agree on the top. It turned out not to be a problem at all. The cake was soooooo delicious (I have never eaten so many cupcakes in my life) and seemed to go with every filling we tried. In the end, we came out with the top and the bottom layer being red velvet with buttercreme and raspberry filling, the next layer being strawberry cake with lemon buttercreme filling, the third layer being German chocolate cake with the appropriate filling, and the top being lemon cake with raspberry filling. We were stuffed, and we were happy.

Unfortunately, FMIL Library decided that her side of the family would whine and potentially fight over who got which kind of cake (what kinds of family members are we inviting to this occassion?!), so she wanted to go with one flavor of cake. While I try my hardest not to be a bridezilla, I had to say "Oh heck no" to that verdict. This was our wedding cake, not hers, and if people were going to be picky, they should hurry to the cake table before everything is gone. We decided not to add a new flavor to the top layer since it only fed six people (our baker makes us a new cake for our anniversary so it still tastes good), so lemon with raspberry went.

How did you pick out your cake?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't go with either daughter and her fiance to the cake tasting, but like you two, they had a good idea of what they wanted. The first chose a cake with different layers as you did. It was wonderful! They still go back each year for an anniversary cake. The other picked a simple, but delicious cake, and everyone loved it, too. How can you go wrong when the topic is CAKE? Love your blog and have you entered in the garter giveaway. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete